Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Agenda 21: The Dark Side of the Mayor's "Sustainable Development" Initiative


Wednesday, May 2nd, 2012
Augusta, GA
By Corporal Gripweed
Commentary

I'm mad as hell, and I'm not gonna take this anymore!!
Howard Beale, from the movie, “Network”  1976

Agenda 21. Ring a bell with anyone? It meant nothing to  me when it was mentioned in conversation recently. A friend remarked it was a program initiated by the United Nations in 1992. We were in the midst of a discussion about the state of the “sustainable development” program touted in recent years by Mayor Deke Copenhaver and various developers and Commissioners.

I consider myself fairly well-read and politically astute, but this Agenda 21 was news to me. I, of course was familiar with the Mayor's recent push to fund studies to ostensibly implement  the Augusta SustainableDevelopment Agenda, or better known as ASDA. But,  I wondered, what did one have to do with the other?

First,let me explain that the ASDA plan involves “green initiatives.” For a conservative like me just the word “green” makes me see red.....It implies that just because I don't want to be forced by the government to use CFL light bulbs and drive a Prius I'm somehow not fit to breathe air. So, What does this have to do with Agenda 21?

After hearing of the program I decided to do my own research. And was astounded at what I found. It seems this particular program was put into place to slowly and subtly force local municipalities and eventually whole regions into compliance of so-called “green” initiatives. The U.N website even spells it out in plain language, it's mission is to,”Limit human behavior and in some cases freedoms, in order to save the planet.”

And all throughout this document the words “sustainable development” are used time and time again. So, what could be wrong with nice, unassuming phrases like "green initiatives" and "sustainable development?" Really nothing. The phrases are fine. It's the motives behind them that bother me and should bother anyone who values freedom. 

All are designed to direct, and in some cases limit our individual rights and freedoms, particularly property rights. Recently passed in a California municipality was an “edict” that no single family dwellings could be built on properties larger than 20 acres. In Augusta's own ASDA, it states, “Halt sewer expansion, keep the southern areas (of Richmond County) rural and continue to infill suburban and urban areas.
  
Both are “stack'em and pack'em”, theories designed to limit choices and freedoms. Obviously, all this is just fine with our Mayor and his “crony capitalist” pals who have pushed this ASDA for years. Which brings me to my point.....I'm mad as hell and I'm not gonna take this anymore!

Mr. Mayor....you and members of the Augusta Commission spent $500,000 of our tax money to validate and endorse an edict from the U.N?...The U.N?  Really? 

I can only come up with two reasons why you or anyone with the “power of the purse” would think this a good idea. Either you think it's a good idea to hand over  parts of the CSRA over to the enviro-nuts at the U.N to implement an obviously anti-American, anti-capitalist program to benefit some of your wealthy developer friends, or you have been an unknowing dupe. Either way, it's shameful.

More to the point, I'm hoping, for the sake of the CSRA, that those who supported you in the last election (mostly the RINO-Republican machine) will take a long  look at anyone you've endorsed in the upcoming Commission races.

As for me? If it's an incumbent and they have your endorsement?...I'm voting for the other person.....And I hope others will do their research and find out exactly what “sustainable development” really means....it doesn't mean a continuation of property rights nor personal freedoms....in fact it means quite the opposite....that's why I'm mad as hell and I'm not gonna take this anymore! What about you?***



***Do you have a story idea, a tip, or would you like to write for City Stink? Then please contact us at: citystink@gmail.com***
Share this on Facebook by clicking the icon below