Thursday, November 17, 2011

Taylor Bryant: Why I Fight. We All Want to Make Augusta Better

Why I fight
By Taylor Bryant
Commentary


There is nothing more detrimental to collective society than conflict without meaningful purpose or objective. To simply throw stones or cause strife to be provocative is not constructive and should be frowned upon, even in the grisly realm of politics and issue activism. Movements without direction are quickly divided and conquered by their respective opposition. Wars fought with no obtainable goals lack support from citizens and soldiers alike. Missions fail. Movements die. Teams lose. Causes are lost. 


With that being said, I am a firm believer in the City of Augusta. I absolutely love this place. This is where I choose to raise my children. I met my wife here, and was married in beautiful Pendelton King park amongst my friends and family that live here as well. I love my neighbors, the schools my children attend, and the experiences that only a town like Augusta can provide. I was not born here, but I am here to stay. 


The people I associate with politically all want to see Augusta thrive, but not at the expense of her citizens. Many of us have differing views or methods, but we have a common goal. We want to make our metro area a better place. We need the help of Augusta's leaders and citizens to add to the perpetual mission of making our home a better place.


We have many features and resources that more successful cities are lacking. It is my firm belief that Augusta's full potential has not been tapped in the least, and will take a change of mindset before we will reach the peak. Many people have already thrown in the towel and left the area, leaving a void that will be difficult to fill. That is a shame, but understandable. 


I'm not done yet. I will keep fighting for the town I love. We will stay here and work as hard as we can to make the change we want to see. We are not fighting for only ourselves, we will also defend those that cannot defend themselves. I don't want recognition or accolades. If someone wants to take the credit, that is fine with me. We will not run from conflict, or cause problems for the sake of ruffling feathers. I am no provocateur, and will not be treated as so.


Augusta is a great city, and she deserves much more than she has. I will make my stand in South Augusta, come Hell or high water. Join me in making this a greater place to live. We are more than a motto, a golf tournament, or even a soul singer. There are positive things in this city that are ignored through the focus on the detrimental aspects, and the overshadowing is unfortunate.  It is what it is, and we are who we are, and we have a long way to go. I hope to be there, helping along the way. 


Taylor Bryant

***Do you have a story idea, a tip, or would you like to write for City Stink? Then please contact us at:  CityStink@gmail.com***
Share this on Facebook by clicking the icon below

No comments: